Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Latest Waldorf doll

I have not realized how hard it would be to go back to regular blogging once you take a break! We've been back from visiting family for a month now and all this time I have been telling myself to get back to blogging. I will try to get back into the routine, I promise!
And for now let me show you my new Waldorf doll, made for Kitten's best friend. I did not give her a name since she was not to be ours and her new Mom has not told me what they named her yet.

She is a medium doll, about 12 inches tall. She had to have long brown hair and blue eyes but otherwise I was allowed to decide myself. She is a jointed limbed doll from Making Waldorf Dolls. For her hair I used almost a full ball of mohair yarn. For the first time I tried knitting a wig cap and figured it out pretty quickly, although I do not crochet (but now want to learn!). It was tricky to achieve full head coverage with hair and allow for multiple hair styles without making her look like a cave person. I ended up putting a strand of hair in almost each loop along the hairline and on both sides of central parting. It would have been better to crochet a chain, put hair in each loop on both sides of it and stitch it on top of parting but I was running out of yarn, so I made it like that. Then I placed the remaining hair randomly and sparsely in between. It turned out very good, you can pull all hair behind or divide it. And even though it still looks like tons of hair when not made up, since mohair is pretty thin, it compresses neatly and makes wonderful hair styles.
I am also pretty proud of her boots, which I made according to directions in Baby Dolls and Their Clothes: Dozens of Projects to Make, but as you know if you have read this book, the patterns are very tiny and there is no way to know how much to enlarge to get the desired size, she just tells you "enlarge the pattern to fit your doll". So I spent probably 2 hours resizing it, adjusting and making trial boots until I found a perfect fit.
 Look at her cute panties!

Kitten understood from the start that this is a doll for her friend and did not give me any trouble asking to play with her or keep her, she would point at her and say "M's doll". She is such a good girl!

7 comments:

  1. Julie! It is so pretty one. I love her hair!!!K.O.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I love how she came out as well. They decided to name her Ljuba.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwww, what a wonderful doll!! I bet M. loved it!!! I love her friendly face and neat look :) And her little dress and boots are adorable! I almost can't wait to have children so aunt Julie could make them such awesome dolls too! (watch it all be boys...)

    Oxana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't you worry, boys need dolls too! It will just be a new challenge to make boy dolls :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh she is awesome!!! I love her outfit, and the hair turned out gorgeous! See, and you were worried :)) I love the simile of a cave person, by the way :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. She is so lovely. And all that beautiful hair! What a lucky girl to be gifted this doll!

    Becca

    ReplyDelete
  7. She turned out adorable! I need to remember to try mohair on my next knit doll. The heavy cottons I've used make the dolls rather top heavy!

    ReplyDelete